NATIONAL OBJECTIVES OF EDUCATION IN KENYA
NATIONAL GOALS OF EDUCATION (December 2007)
1. Foster nationalism, patriotism and promote national unity
2. Promote social, economical, technological and industrial needs for national development
Education should prepare the youth of the country to play an effective and productive role in the life of the nation.
a) Social Needs
b) Economic Needs
c) Technological and Industrial Needs
We can only be part of this development if our education system deliberately focused on knowledge, skills and attitudes that will prepare the youth for these changing global trends.
3. Promote individual development and self- fulfillment
Education should provide opportunities for the fullest development of individual talents and personality. It should assist children to develop their potential, interests and abilities. A vital aspect of individual development is character building.
4. Promote sound moral and religious values
Education should provide for the development of knowledge, skills and attitudes that will enhance acquisition of sound moral values and help children to grow up into self-disciplined, self-reliant and integrated citizens.
5. Promote social equality and responsibility
Education should promote social equality and foster a sense of social responsibility within an education system which provides equal educational opportunities for all. It should give all children varied and challenging opportunities for collective and corporate social services irrespective of gender, ability or geographical environment.
6. Promote respect for and development of
Education should instil in the youth of
7. Promote international consciousness and foster positive attitudes towards other nations
8. Promote positive attitudes towards good health and environmental protection
Education should inculcate in the youth the value of good health in order to avoid indulging in activities that will lead to physical or mental ill health. It should foster positive attitudes towards environmental development and conservation. It should lead the youth to appreciate the need for a healthy environment.